interpretata da Joan Baez
(... che altro aggiungere ...)
- I wish I was in Carrickfergus, only for nights in Ballygrand.
- I would swim over the deepest ocean, the deepest ocean for my love to find,
- But the sea is wide and I cannot swim over and neither have I wings to fly.
- If I could find me a handsome boatman to ferry me over to my love and die.
- My childhood days bring back sad reflections of happy times I spent so long ago.
- My boyhood friends and my own relations have all passed on now like melting snow,
- But I'll spend my days in endless roaming; soft is the grass, my bed is free.
- Ah, to be back in Carrickfergus on that long road down to the salty sea!
- And in Kilkenny it is reported there are marble stones as black as ink.
- With gold and silver I would support her, but I'll sing no more now till I get a drink.
- I'm drunk today and I'm seldom sober, a handsome rover from town to town.
- Ah, but I'm sick now, my days are numbered,
- so come all ye young men and lay me down